Research finds up to 20x cloud and SaaS application performance improvements when connecting via private network-based SD-WANs versus the public Internet
LONDON – Dec. 18, 2017 – Aryaka®, the leading global SD-WAN provider, has released its first EMEA Edition of the State of SD-WAN Connectivity report that analyses the performance of SD-WAN deployments over the Internet as compared with those delivered over global private networks. The report highlights specific application response times between various European, Middle East, Asia-Pacific and Americas locations, as well as key factors that impact the performance of cloud and SaaS applications.
This research helps IT leaders in Europe, Middle-East and Africa (EMEA) to evaluate the best underlying connectivity for their SD-WAN deployments to ensure fast, reliable and consistent performance for all on-premises, cloud and SaaS applications, including voice, video, and data. The report reveals significant differences in both average response times and variations in application response times when comparing the performance between SD-WANs that run over the public Internet, and SD-WANs built on a cloud-native private network, such as Aryaka.
From an EMEA perspective, the performance differentials are significant:
- When comparing file transfers, private network-based SD-WANs proved far more consistent that Internet-based SD-WANs. Lower variations in application response times help deliver a more consistent user experience.
- A London-Dubai link had 14.5x less variation using the Aryaka global private network compared to the public Internet.
- Dubai-Dallas was 12.5x less variable on Aryaka’s global private network, while Dubai-Mumbai was 13.7x less variable.
- Frankfurt-Chennai proved 3.2x more consistent on the global private network.
- While the Dubai-Johannesburg link had 96.23% variation in application response times over the Internet, the variation over Aryaka’s global private network was only 0.25%, a huge improvement.
- Global private networks also shrink inter-regional application response times.
- While in-region performance is improved using a global private network with London-Frankfurt links proving 43% faster, inter-regional time improvements were even more impressive.
- Frankfurt-Chennai and Dubai-Dallas links showed around 3x performance improvements.
- Frankfurt-Shanghai and Dubai-Beijing links were almost 10x faster on Aryaka’s global private network compared to the public Internet, while London-Dubai application response times were 22x faster.
“While the Internet can be acceptable for users accessing cloud/SaaS applications within a region, application performance and user experience can deteriorate significantly when greater distances are involved,” said Jason Wells, Aryaka’s Vice President for EMEA & APAC. “For global organisations headquartered in EMEA expecting fast and consistent performance from their cloud/SaaS applications regardless of where they are hosted or where business users are located, the results of our EMEA State of SD-WAN Connectivity report should prove useful. IT leaders in global enterprises must deploy an SD-WAN solution with a cloud-native private network, such as Aryaka, if they want to ensure real-time delivery of their mission-critical applications.”
Aryaka’s research also confirmed that there are particular challenges facing EMEA-based organisations, particularly when connecting from EMEA countries to the APAC region over the Internet. Dubai, particularly, proved a challenging destination, for example, with a peak 261% variation when connecting from Dubai to Singapore.
This research follows Aryaka’s third State of the WAN Report, which closely analyses annual enterprise WAN traffic and trends, challenges in application performance, WAN reliability and bandwidth access between specific geographies and industries from a worldwide perspective.
Aryaka’s global SD-WAN helps international enterprises deliver improved performance for cloud and on-premises applications to enterprise datacenters, branch offices, and remote or mobile employees from anywhere in the world. For enterprises that have branch offices in EMEA, Aryaka’s global SD-WAN also allows them to remain compliant with existing and upcoming regulatory requirements. This is because all enterprise data traversing Aryaka’s global cloud-native private network is encrypted end-to-end. Moreover, there is no permanent data storage and all transient data storage is encrypted. Aryaka also has the ability to enforce policies to prohibit data transfers to countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).
Aryaka’s global SD-WAN solution is currently deployed at more than 700 global enterprises with sites in 63 countries, and has quickly become the only viable MPLS replacement solution in the market today.
Download the full ‘State of SD-WAN Connectivity – EMEA Edition’ report here.
Application response times were measured and compared between various pairs of locations globally, both over Aryaka’s global private network and the public Internet. Using a randomly generated 100KB file, Aryaka evaluated both the average application response time and the variation in application response times to report performance over each network.
Aryaka is transforming how global enterprises connect sites and users worldwide, and use mission-critical applications to support modern business execution demands. Aryaka’s Global SD-WAN combines a purpose-built private network, SD-WAN, optimization and acceleration techniques, connectivity to cloud platforms, and network visibility in a single solution that is delivered as a service.
Aryaka Media Contact
Director of Marketing
Aryaka European PR
+44 7791 720469